Friday, July 10, 2009

St. Mary's Church in Odanah, Wisconsin













I suppose that I will need to attend the Saturday Mass at 4 PM to see the inside of this Indian mission church. The church doors would not budge so I enjoyed a walk around the outside.

St. Mary’s Church looks like a delicate piece of Wedgwood china etched into the blue nearly cloudless Wisconsin sky. This church was over 100 years old. The cornerstone in the foundation shows 1899 as the year of construction. Next to the church, pyramid shaped shrine to the Virgin Mary shows an Indian doll looking up in awe and a nun holding children in the folds of her long traditional habit. Two towering pine trees on the church ground shade some picnic tables. Absent is the typical church cemetery that I am accustomed to finding around historic churches. I will have to ask the priest about this after Saturday’s Mass.

July 9, 2009

St. Mary’s Church

Odanah, Wisconsin






No comments: