Monday, October 27, 2008

Did Ya Vote Early? I Did

Rallies, negative advertisements, pundits, and not even a robocall can sway me now. I voted. I voted on October 14th - the same day that I received my absentee ballot from the Polk County Bureau of Elections. I had the privilege to cast my ballot this way because I live fulltime on the road in my Prevost bus conversion. I haven’t been in Polk County or Livingston, Texas, - my registered domicile - since January 2008. You see, I am an Escapee – someone who has given up a house in the country on a Texas concrete slab and trading it for a house on wheels. My husband and I have traveled over 10,000 miles this year through the US and Canada. I followed national politics while on the road and read several books about the candidates (and one who didn’t make it – Hillary) in making my decision for the presidential candidate of my choice. I felt less confident in selecting names for the Texas Railroad Commission, Senate, and Polk County Sheriff. Before coloring in the oval with a pencil as thin as a toothpick enclosed with my ballot, I had to research these candidates on the Internet. If their positions presented on their web sites aligned with mine, they got my vote regardless of party alignment. Yes, I voted early. It was easy. The tough part is waiting for Election Day and wondering if my candidate will be the one making an acceptance speech on November 4th.

No comments: