Sunday, December 05, 2010

Bold Moves Make for Long Goodbyes...

This is the boldest move I ever made in my 55 years! Bolder than skiing a black diamond slope, bolder than auctioning dates with bachelors to raise money for fighting cancer, bolder than tasting squid. Perhaps this move is as bold as taking a two-year career break to travel in an RV across the US and Canada. Bold!

Bold is accepting a career opportunity to work for UNICEF. Bold is launching a global fundraising initiative to increase individual giving through major gifts. Bold is compressing my stuff into three suitcases to move to Switzerland. Bold is immersing myself in the Swiss culture where people speak French and buy with cash. Bold is giving up travel by car, shopping at Wal-Mart, and unlimited cell phone minutes evenings and weekends. Bold is saying “Goodbye.”

My husband Ed called our last three months in the USA the longest goodbye ever. He was right in tagging the lunches, parties, and visits that way but somehow, I needed these interactions with people important in my life. And so it was that I said my goodbyes, each one full of meaning, building confidence that I made the right choice, and connecting to people important to me who have contributed to my successes, held meaning in my life.

The following are photos of these precious moments spent before a Continental flight landed me in Geneva, Switzerland where a bold new life experience would begin.




















Portrait of Mom & Me
















My family: Mom, Chris, Me, Brady, Jason, Brianna & Suzie
















At Indian Lake with Ed, Val & Greg




















Chris & I at Presque Isle in Erie, Pennsylvania




















A winning hand at Canasta with Brianna















Mini golfing at Statler's with me, Suzie, Matt, Chris, & Brianna

















Lifelong friends Craig & Robin with me















My ACS team: Beth, Joann, me, & Anna















Ed & I on the steps of the church where we were married -
October 3, 1997















The old Sanford barn at "The Farm"















New flowers for Grandma & Grandpa's grave















Looking at family heirlooms with Becky















Celebrating with Suzie & Matt in Kansas City















The Mlinarich cousins at a family party














My 2010 reunion with ADP sorority sisters from PITT















Suzie jumping with Allie















One last hug from baby Anthony at Sheffield Place





















Me & Kim - Best friends from college at the ADP Reunion















Me & Sherry at the UN Peace Plaza, Independence, MO















A luminary for Dad at the Relay for Life, an event I launched over 14 years ago.

"Good-bye"

December 5, 2010

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked in on your blog in a long time. I like to live vicariously through folks doing something I wish i could do. Good luck on the new chapter in your life. Enjoy Switzerland!!
Matt Colver

Termite said...

Thanks, Matt. I have celebrated my one year anniversary in Switzerland. It is a magical country!