Sunday, August 02, 2009

Warm Welcome in Kansas City!











When a long journey ends, a warm welcome from family and friends can make you feel so good! And, that is exactly how we felt arriving in Kansas City. On Friday night, our “bus nut” friend Sean opened his house to us and gave us a place to park the coach. By Saturday morning, Suzie and Matt arrived at Sean’s house with hugs and happiness knowing that we’d be in Kansas City for awhile.

Ed and I have traveled over 28,000 miles during our two year road trip that began in September 2007. Four times Sean met us on the road – first in Marshall, Missouri ; then in Albany, New York; once in Pharr, Texas and finally in Fulton, Missouri. It only seems fitting that our final mile ended at his front door.

And, when we look at the map charting our travels, there’s a thick series of lines passing behind a photo of daughter Suzie. Many of our routes no matter what the destination went through Futon and St. Louis where Suzie has lived while studying at the university. I know she and her boyfriend Matt will be happy to have Mom close by – only four hours away, no more wondering “where’s Mom?”

To celebrate our coming to Kansas City, Sean grilled burgers and mushrooms stuffed with crab. Suzie mixed the seasonings for some dippy bread. And, I made a family favorite perogies and corn-on-the-cob too. What a feast!

We celebrated the ties that bind us. We celebrated a safe, extraordinary journey through the US and Canada. We celebrated my new job.

On September 1st, I begin a new career as the Director of Development and Marketing for a Kansas City non-profit organization. Sheffield Place empowers homeless mothers and their children to heal from their trauma and move toward self-sufficiency. When I am not out asking for money to fund this worthy program, I’ll be a tourist in my own town – Kansas City – and I will put the finishing touches on my book about our road trip.

Our journey maybe ending but more experiences will unfold. Expect the unexpected from me and more stories to entertain. This is a new beginning! Welcome to Kansas City!


July 24 - 25, 2009

No comments: