Wednesday, February 28, 2007

RV Fellowship Rally Took Us to Waco, Texas


I was barely on the ground two hours when Ed and I loaded the RV and rolled out of our yard heading to Waco, Texas. I had just finished a nine-day business/pleasure trip - Houston to facilitate meetings at Prairie View A&M University for their capital campaign, St. Louis and Fulton to visit my daughter Suzie at William Woods University, and then Colorado Springs to organize an endowment campaign for the USA Swimming Foundation. When my plane hit the runway at Tyler Regional Airport that morning, I knew I could take a break and enjoy the chauffeured ride with Ed and the weekend camaraderie of the Rotary RV Fellowship.

The rally at Riverview Campground was the first RV Fellowship event we had attended since the one in 1999 at Gettysburg, PA - a long time ago. Although much time had lapsed, it took only moments to renew our acquaintance with Wagonmasters AJ and Pansy and meet the remaining Rotarians.

Our weekend included a tour of Homestead Village, Happy Hours, a Potluck Dinner, time at the Texas Ranger Museum, a drive to the President's home town of Crawford, and a visit to the Dr. Pepper Museum.

When we were settled in the motor home each evening, Ed and I reflected on how life will be when we begin living in "Patty's Charm" and moving about full time. We agreed that the campground environment is not necessarily appealing since each motorhome is within the distance of hearing a neighbor sneeze in the middle of the night. Boondocking will be highly desirable. We also decided that the stained gold carpet has to go! And, we found that our Corgi Rusty takes owner of more than his share of proportional floor and couch space. Also, we didn't feel very organized - misplacing reading glasses and wondering how the blanket disappeared. I did find all my missing kitchen food storage bowls. Yes, we definitely need to be better organized.

Our routine needs a little polishing too since we found that we frequently bumped around in the narrow kitchen space. The easy remedy was for me to prepare the meals and Ed to clean up. That's fair.

Considering the short four day duration of our RV trip, we managed just fine and I expect we'll do fine when there's no heading for home. We'll already be home wherever the RV happens to be parked.

No comments: