Friday, May 01, 2009

Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo,Texas: A Surprising Message on the Hood of a Car

























I hardly paid attention to the couple at the Cadillac Ranch as I examined the colorful painted messages on the ten cars all nose down in the dirt. The fellow was spray painting the entire hood of one of the Cadillacs black. He framed this black background with a white border like the route sign of historic Route 66. Distracted now, I watched the group of clowning Australians on college spring break write “Aussie” on a Cadillac then pose for photos. Wanting a photo myself, I offered to photograph a young man and his dog in exchange for him shooting a photo of me seated inside one of the cars. After checking out each car, I returned to read the message on the black background. The paint still dripped wet as I giggled with glee. It read: “Will you marry me?” The spray painting fellow proposed to his girlfriend right here, moments ago, at the Cadillac Ranch and I would never know her answer. She didn’t paint a reply and they were gone!

Several days later when I returned to the Cadillac Ranch, the proposal was gone too, painted over with new designs and messages.

April 14, 2009

Cadillac Ranch

Amarillo, Texas

I-40 between Exits 60 & 62

Admission is free.

The access road can accommodate

RV parking off the pavement for a

quick roadside stop off the Interstate.


No comments: